LAF: Last Airbender Fans

Skip to content


About Toph auditions

Discussions pertaining to the cast of The Last Airbender and how to audition for the sequels.

About Toph auditions

Postby baaSHEEPbaa on Mon May 25, 2009 10:40 pm

Ok when are the auditions? How old do you have to be? Do you need to know a martial art? Does it matter which country your from, or origen? Thats all thanks!!!!
Image
Leaves from the vine falling so slow like fragile tiny shells drifting in the foam Little soldier boy come marching home Brave soldier boy comes marching home
User avatar
baaSHEEPbaa
Grand Master
Grand Master
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Southern Highlands, NSW, Australia
Gender: Female

Re: About Toph auditions

Postby NightBender on Tue May 26, 2009 12:40 am

There isn't really any information about Toph auditions, and probably won't be until after the first movie.
Image
User avatar
NightBender
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
 
Posts: 1997
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:26 pm
Location: Central Florida
Gender: Male

Re: About Toph auditions

Postby baaSHEEPbaa on Tue May 26, 2009 1:15 am

NightBender wrote:There isn't really any information about Toph auditions, and probably won't be until after the first movie.

Thanks from baaSHEEPbaa
Image
Leaves from the vine falling so slow like fragile tiny shells drifting in the foam Little soldier boy come marching home Brave soldier boy comes marching home
User avatar
baaSHEEPbaa
Grand Master
Grand Master
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Southern Highlands, NSW, Australia
Gender: Female

Re: About Toph auditions

Postby kewlbeanspx on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:13 am

Fingers crossed that Toph will be African American. It's a 50% chance now that the casting people have screwed themselves over so much. Or maybe more like 25% black, 25% asian, 50% white.
kewlbeanspx
Warrior
Warrior
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 4:18 am

Re: About Toph auditions

Postby trailerman on Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:58 am

kewlbeanspx wrote:Fingers crossed that Toph will be African American. It's a 50% chance now that the casting people have screwed themselves over so much. Or maybe more like 25% black, 25% asian, 50% white.

I don't think that Toph will be afro-american - she won't fit to the Gaang (no racism intended)
Image
User avatar
trailerman
Bryke
Bryke
 
Posts: 6316
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 9:29 am
Gender: Male

Re: About Toph auditions

Postby baaSHEEPbaa on Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:18 am

trailerman wrote:
kewlbeanspx wrote:Fingers crossed that Toph will be African American. It's a 50% chance now that the casting people have screwed themselves over so much. Or maybe more like 25% black, 25% asian, 50% white.

I don't think that Toph will be afro-american - she won't fit to the Gaang (no racism intended)

Thanks cause I'm english :roll:
Image
Leaves from the vine falling so slow like fragile tiny shells drifting in the foam Little soldier boy come marching home Brave soldier boy comes marching home
User avatar
baaSHEEPbaa
Grand Master
Grand Master
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Southern Highlands, NSW, Australia
Gender: Female

Re: About Toph auditions

Postby absinthe_spoons on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:52 am

Sorry, trailerman, but that does sound kinda racist. Why wouldn't she be able to fit into the Gaang just because her skin is darker?
I would be equally pleased with a East Asian or African American Toph, but I'm curious to see what they could come up with if they decide to pursue the idea of a black Toph. It wouldn't be any more jarring than a white Katara and Sokka. If you have a problem with a black Toph but no problem with white Katara and Sokka, I'd say your true colours (no pun intended) are showing.
Image
Image
User avatar
absinthe_spoons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3189
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:09 pm
Location: Canada
Gender: Female

Re: About Toph auditions

Postby Laerasyn on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:24 am

I've tried to stay out of the race discussion so far, but the way I see it, if they are trying to diversify the cast as they say they are doing, they might as well go all the way. I admit that the first thing I thought when I heard the idea of an African American Toph was something along the lines of, “Oh, great, just more ways to screw up a cast that’s supposed to be Asian.” But I think, after mulling it over a bit, that it might be interesting. I just hope it doesn’t become a stereotyping, token-black-kid-with-an-attitude thing.
User avatar
Laerasyn
Bender
Bender
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 12:58 pm
Location: a'rovin'

Re: About Toph auditions

Postby absinthe_spoons on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:35 am

Laerasyn wrote:I've tried to stay out of the race discussion so far, but the way I see it, if they are trying to diversify the cast as they say they are doing, they might as well go all the way. I admit that the first thing I thought when I heard the idea of an African American Toph was something along the lines of, “Oh, great, just more ways to screw up a cast that’s supposed to be Asian.” But I think, after mulling it over a bit, that it might be interesting. I just hope it doesn’t become a stereotyping, token-black-kid-with-an-attitude thing.


That is very true, Laerasyn. That's probably the foundation of any reservations I have about an African American Toph -- that they would make her the token-black-kid-with-an-attitude.
Image
Image
User avatar
absinthe_spoons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3189
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:09 pm
Location: Canada
Gender: Female

Re: About Toph auditions

Postby b1uski3sxox on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:12 am

I think that it could go either way, when they decide to cast Toph. They might pick a random celebrity who they think could play Toph, or do what they did with Aang, and hold open auditions.
As for the ethnicity, I'm not entirely sure. She could be African-American, or Indian, or someone American or English, or even someone from China or Japan- you never know.
I expect her to be cast by late 2010, or early 2011, depending on when the second movie comes out... aaaagh, I can't wait that long! But I'll have to be patient. (Er, try to be patient, that is... :D )
User avatar
b1uski3sxox
Bender
Bender
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Slouched over my keyboard, typing fanfiction :)

Next

Return to Auditions / Casting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests


The LAF Amazon Shoppe!

cron